Life as a Sparkle

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Luddites Need Love, Too

Sometimes I bewilder myself.

I’m a self-confessed Luddite. I have a circa 1997 computer, dial-up Internet and an intense dislike of cell phones. I don’t check my email every day…sometimes not even every week. I don’t know how to download photos from a digital camera to my computer. I still buy CDs and play them on my Sony Discman. My TV is a whopping 15” and I won it at a 1987 Christmas party. I have rabbit ears, not cable. In my world, text messaging means writing a note on a piece of scrap paper, blackberries are tasty and make good jam, and ipods are what science fiction aliens use to launch themselves from the mothership.

Why in the world would I want to have a blog?

Point the finger at
Cookie. Because she’s writing regularly. Because she’s a good writer. Because she entertains me. Because she made me realize how much I miss writing. Because I want to prime the pump again and have a reason to do it. Because I have lots of thoughts and want to explore them. Just because.

Despite the fact that I’m something of an old-fashioned girl who can knit, crochet, make jelly, bake bread from scratch, identify most edible berries in the woods and who doesn’t give a fig about technology, I’m ultra-modern in one pretty significant way. I’m a female electrician. Yep, only 3-5% of electricians in this province need to sit down to pee (more on that in future posts).

Electrician: I’m handy with power tools. I’d rather shop at Home Depot than The Gap. I get to build stuff. I get to destroy stuff. I get to be dirty most of the time. I go clomping around wearing boots like Gaston (50 points if you can name that song). I play with boys everyday. I lift and carry heavy stuff. I know how to wire things and not get electrocuted.

Female: I like pretty, shiny things. I wear dresses when I’m not at work. I enjoy looking at men. I eat with clean hands. I am the lone female privy to the day-to-day thoughts and conversations of a bunch of guys.

I figure the juxtaposition of the two gives me a few things to talk about on this here ole Internet blog thingy.

So, welcome. Hope you find something here to interest and amuse you.
***************************
Today’s Treasure: I happened to be in Starbucks and had a gift certificate. I don’t normally like that store, but I felt like a frozen drink and, hey, it was free. I tried an Orange Mocha Frappacino. Mmmm! Yummy! Definitely worth repeating. Thank goodness for gift certificates!

4 comments:

Cookie Everman said...

Yay! You're a fantastic writer! I love the "Today's Treasure" feature. And now, I am hopelessly devoted to you... well, I was anyway, but now through the internet, too. :-)

By the way, the song is "Gaston" from Beauty and the Beast. Woohoo! 50 points!

Laurel said...

Thanks for giving me the kick in the butt to get going.

I love that you know "Gaston". Hi, are you me?

Karin said...

OK, even before I got to the comments, I was humming the "Gaston" song...it's a good thing I finally have kids to justify my Disney animated movie fetish...

"No one shoots like Gaston, makes those beauts like Gaston,
then goes tromping around wearing boots like Gaston!"

"I use antlers in all of my decorating!"

"My, what a guy -- GasTOOOOON!"

Hee! *blush*

Laurel said...

No wonder I love you guys so much!